For more than 165 years, Pleasant Run Presbyterian Church has been part of the community. In 1852 residents of Pleasant Run considered the possibility of establishing a church in the center of their farming community. Until this time, religious needs were met by worshiping in homes or attending area churches when road or weather conditions permitted. Mr. Christian Sloneker offered an acre of land on Cincinnati-Hamilton Road, near the current intersection of Hamilton Avenue and John Gray Road.The first building, completed and dedicated in 1854, was a simple, sturdy wooden structure. The Presbytery of Cincinnati recognized the newly formed congregation as Pleasant Run Presbyterian Church on October 15, 1854. Mission work was central to the congregation in the second half of the 1800’s. Organized in 1904, the Ladies Aid Society raised funds to improve the church, including gas lights in 1907, an addition to the building in 1912, and electricity in 1924. Over the years, many pastors have served the congregation. A manse (pastor’s residence) was built behind the church in 1947.
The church survived World Wars, the Great Depression, and the evolution from an agriculturally-based to a suburban residential area, all while continuing to grow and thrive in the Pleasant Run community. Again, the need for a new building was identified. The current church building at Crest and Pippin Roads was financed by donations and completed in 1956. Worship services, church picnics, youth activities, Bible studies, and community events take place in the fellowship hall and on the grounds of the church.
In 2003, an addition to the current building was completed which made the church totally handicapped accessible. The additional space and full-service elevator have allowed us to better serve the community and hold large events. These include the Practical Grace non-food pantry, annual Gift and Craft Show, and Lenten season Fish Fry’s. Our larger narthex provides a welcoming space to “meet and greet” guests and members alike. Today, Pleasant Run Presbyterian continues to honor its founders with a legacy of mission, community care, youth programming, and welcoming worship.